On Tuesday July 29th, James Halliday AM, in association with Wine Companion magazine and Hardie Grant Publishing, announced the winners of the Qantas epiQure
James Halliday Australian Wine Companion Awards.
James Halliday has been at the forefront of the wine industry for more than four decades and these second annual coveted awards celebrated the industry’s finest wines, as rated in the 2015 James Halliday Australian Wine Companion – released on Wednesday, 30 July.
James Halliday said of the awards, “It’s with great pleasure we take the time to recognise Australia’s remarkable wines and producers. The 2012 and ’13 vintages produced wonderful wines from both long-established wineries and newly-arrived winemakers – the awards celebrate this diversity in our industry.”
Six major awards were presented: Winery of the Year, Wine of the Year, Dark Horse of the Year, New Winery of the Year, Winemaker of the Year and Best Value Winery of the Year.
Congratulations to the following winners:
- Wine of the Year: 2011 Xanadu Stevens Road Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon, WA (Sponsored by Qantas epiQure)
- Winery of the Year: Hentley Farm, Barossa Valley, SA (Sponsored by SMEG)
- Dark Horse of the Year: Haselgrove Wines, McLaren Vale, SA (Sponsored by Nikon)
- New Winery of the Year: Flowstone, Margaret River, WA (Sponsored by Kennards Wine Storage)
- Winemaker of the Year: Castle Rock Estate’s Rob Diletti, WA
- Best Value Winery of the Year: Hoddles Creek Estate, Yarra Valley, VIC
Ten varietal award-winning wines were served alongside a five-course degustation:
- Sparkling Wine: 2004 House of Arras Grand Vintage (97 points)
- Riesling:2013 Grosset Polish Hill Clare Valley Riesling (98 points)
- Semillon:2013 Thomas Braemore Individual Vineyard Hunter Valley Semillon (98 points)
- Chardonnay:2011 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Margaret River Chardonnay(98 points)
- Sauvignon Blanc:2011 Flowstone Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc(97 points)
- Pinot Noir:2012 Bass Phillip Reserve Pinot Noir(99 points)
- Other Reds:2012 SC Pannell McLaren Vale Grenache(97 points)
- Shiraz:2011 Mount Pleasant Maurice O'Shea Shiraz(98 points)
- Cabernet Sauvignon:2011 Xanadu Stevens Road Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon(99 points)
- Fortified:1914 Seppeltsfield 100 Year Old Para Liqueur(100 points)
The additional varietal winners were:
2004 Tahbilk 1927 Vines Marsanne, 97 points (Other Whites and Blends), 2013 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier, 98 points (Shiraz Viognier), 2012 Yarra Yering Dry Red Wine No. 2, 98 points (Shiraz Family), 2012 Cullen Diana Madeline, 98 points (Cabernet Family), NV Rockford Black Shiraz, 97 points (Sparkling Red), 2013 Bellarmine Pemberton Riesling Select, 96 points (Sweet Wine).
The invitation-only event was held at The Park in Albert Park, with guests continuing celebrations at the newly opened Coppersmith in South Melbourne. Attendees included the theHon. Richard Colbeck, Parliamentary Secretary to the Federal Minister for Agriculture and Tasmanian Senator, former V8 Supercar driver and Channel 7 personality Mark Skaife, CEO of the Grand Prix Corporation Andrew Westacott, former Premier of Victoria Jeff Kennett, legendary winemakers Ed Carr and Jim Chatto.
Visit the Qantas epiQure website.