- The historic old vines of the Hunter Valley, combined with a moderate and humid climate, produce a range of varieties. Bold flavours with strong cellaring potential are found all over, alongside fresh and bright aperitif styles. Try these six varied wines.
- One of only three with the label’s Grand Reserve mantle, this single-vineyard shiraz is sourced from premium Hunter Valley vines. Intense, concentrated red and black fruit flavours abound on a beautifully balanced palate, making it a quintessential regional example. For ideal drinking, open the wine the night before, pour out a small glass and then reseal the bottle until the following evening.
- Briar Ridge's first fiano, released from 2016 plantings at Mount View, is expressive and fruit driven with notes of mandarin, honey and white flowers. A very textural wine with a lovely acid line – great on its own or with food.
- This medium-hued, mid-intensity shiraz has perfumed aromas of bramble and red spice with red cherry flavours on the palate. Fine tannins with background oak lead to a lovely plush finish. Enjoy with pork or lamb and rosemary sausages.
- Made from a unique blend of merlot and fiano, sourced from the Holman Estate vineyard in Pokolbin, this light and refreshing wine is made using the Charmat method. The palate displays lifted berry characters that make it the perfect aperitif or match to spicy dishes.
- Grown on the famous Belford dome of limestone this wine has aromas of dark berries, exotic spices, and minerals, it’s medium to full-bodied, with fine-grained tannin. There’s a core of seductively plush blackberry, damson and black cherry fruit with hints of vanilla bean, sweet spice and graphite. Long and juicy.
- This light-but-structured wine features a stunning crimson colour, with aromas of plush dark cherry and French oak. Generous dark berry fruit and the classic Hunter savoury spice are framed by elegant tannin to a long finish. Pair it with beef and enjoy by the fire.
RRP $75 | Drink to 2040 | mistletoewines.com.au
RRP $28 | Drink to 2028 | briarridge.com.au
RRP $140 | Drink to 2035 | brokenwood.com.au
RRP $31 | Drink to 2022 | mounteyre.com
RRP $35 | Drink to 2035 | thomaswines.com.au
RRP $50 | Drink to 2035 | bimbadgen.com.au
Find out more about the Hunter Valley in our essential guide.
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with the featured wineries.
Top image: Wine Australia