- Sauvignon blanc is a classic white variety that is typically light in body and colour. This affordable, approachable style is generally bottled soon after fermentation, and its hallmark characteristics are refreshing acidity plus herbaceous and fruit-forward flavours. The sauvignon blanc grape thrives in cool-but-sunny climates – two of its key regions in Australia are the Adelaide Hills and Margaret River. Get to know the styles of the east and west coast with the exceptional examples here.
- It is vibrant green-gold in appearance, with aromas of guava, nectarine, a hint of passionfruit and underlying lime zest. The textural palate retains the juiciness of ripe nectarines and guava and also has some flinty highlights. A chalky, minerally acidity balances with subtle fruit flavours for a cleansing finish – pair it with panko-crusted whiting, garlic prawns or tempura vegetables.
- Aromatics of snowpea and passionfruit combined with a mineral edge lift effortlessly from the glass. A complex palate of intense fruit tapers cleanly into a crisp, finely honed conclusion of piercing acidity. Pair it with a goat’s curd and caramelised onion tartlet or shellfish linguine.
- Lively and vibrant with an intense, fruit-driven palate, a subtle grassiness supports the citrus, gooseberry and tropical notes. Balanced acidity with a soft, voluptuous mouthfeel follows, plus fruit-sweetness and an exceptional length. Pair it with fresh seafood or a Vietnamese salad.
- This lively sauvignon blanc impresses with its white grapefruit zest and lemon curd notes, followed by delicate citrus blossom aromas, tart gooseberry and mineral-like acidity. Its bright flavour profile makes it a perfect pairing with freshly shucked oysters.
- Pale lemon in colour, with slight green hues, this wine displays powerful tropical and citrus aromas, plus notes of fresh-cut grass. The dry, well-balanced palate refreshes with racy acidity and vibrant flavours of gooseberry and citrus. The long finish is clean and layered – pair it with chilli squid.
- A structural wine, with stony minerality, savoury spices and a lingering finish. Creamy on the palate, with lemon-zest citrus and aromas of gooseberry, passionfruit and hints of vanilla. Clean and vibrant in flavour, but tight and flinty in texture. Pair this intricate style with roast chicken, full-flavoured fish dishes, or even veal served with lighter sauces.
RRP $32 | Drink to 2027 | flowstonewines.com
RRP $22 | Drink to 2023 | timknappstein.com.au
RRP $20 | Drink to 2022 | chainofponds.com.au
RRP $22 | Drink to 2023 | zontesfootstep.com.au
RRP $25 | Drink to 2020 | millbrook.wine
RRP $32 | Drink to 2035 | domainenaturaliste.com.au
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with the featured wineries.
Top image credit: Parker Blain / Wine Australia