- The Yarra Valley was the first wine region to be established in Victoria, and with 170 years of viticultural history, it comes as no surprise that it is now home to some of the states most acclaimed vignerons. Cool-climate varietals shine here, and there’s certainly a lot to choose from. Get to know the wines of three excellent Yarra Valley producers.
- A tightly coiled and overall savoury wine that will unfurl in time. Hints of lemon balm, grapefruit and flint with perky acidity make it deliciously moreish. Oaks adds an extra dimension and is seamlessly integrated.
- An intense perfume of blue flowers and paradise spice lead into a cherry-filled palate, interwoven with elegant, savoury spice and silky, fine-grained tannins.
- Rich and complex, with the dark fruit upfront leading into an array of savoury spice. A juicy centre is balanced by velvet-like tannins that flow seamlessly from the mid-palate into a long, graceful finish. Available to buy from August 1st.
- Fresh black fruit and herbs work elegantly on the palate alongside smooth tannin. This wine hails from the exceptional 2016 cabernet vintage, carrying itself gracefully but with structure and depth.
- This pinot noir is from premium Upper Yarra vineyards. It shows bright fruit characters with earthy and savoury undertones, its soft spice supporting silky tannins and rounding out the long finish.
- A perfect balance of weight, intensity and tannin, creating an incredibly smooth palate. Beautiful integration of dark fruit flavours and savoury olive and truffle characters, leading to a strong finish.
- This complex chardonnay features a restrained nose with hints of grapefruit, and a poised palate that is lively and full of purpose.
- A savoury and refined rosé with a supple, creamy texture. Very pale copper, this wine has a round and long palate with a soft, chalky tannin finish that is the trademark of this single-vineyard wine.
- Minimalist winemaking techniques retain the purity of fruit in this delicious pinot noir, showcasing a subtle palate and plenty of soft, ripe tannins – a wine of incredible balance and charm.
RRP $40 | Drink to 2028
RRP $40 | Drink to 2028
RRP $130 | Drink to 2033
RRP $35 | Drink to 2026
RRP $80 | Drink to 2027
RRP $27 | Drink to 2025
RRP $44 | Drink to 2028
RRP $25 | Drink to 2022
RRP $50 | Drink to 2028
Find out more about the Yarra Valley in our essential guide.
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with the featured wineries.
Top image: Wine Australia