This substantial venture is situated in the Canowindra district on the banks of the Belubula River. The original land owner was John Grant, a convict transported to NSW in 1811, pardoned in 1821. He became a well-known and respected farmer, leaving behind 12 children and 30 000 acres of grazing land on the Belubula and Lachlan Rivers. It was divided into two in 1909, and 1620ha became Pinnaroo. It is now owned by a group of eight families, five of whom are farmers, who have planted 120ha of vines with the intention of simply growing grapes for sale to others. Initially a small amount was kept to produce wines for personal consumption, but 200-400 dozen of each wine in its portfolio are made for sale to restaurants and function centres.
Over the past 5 years, Pinnaroo wines have won several awards at NSW wine shows and there has been a significant growth of the brand as a result. Wines which were stand outs at the 2015 Cowra wine show, the 2015 Australian Cool Climate Wine Show and the 2015 NSW Wine Awards were our Cuvee, our Chardonnay and our Shiraz.