The property now known as Rumbalara was first surveyed before 1908. Part of the land occupied by early owners was a mining lease containing a silver-bearing quartz intrusion discovered during the construction of the railway linking Brisbane and Sydney. The land was originally used as an orchard, with the first grapes planted in '28. Bob and Una Gray purchased the property in '74 and planted and grafted (onto existing rootstock) classic wine grape varieties including semillon and cabernet sauvignon. Rumbalara was purchased by Mike and Bobbi Cragg in 2002, Mike making the wines until '11.