Salo Wines

Victoria | Yarra Valley

James' Review

Business partners Steve Flamsteed and Dave Mackintosh say that Salo means dirty and a little uncouth, which with the Australian sense of humour, can be used as a term of endearment. They wish to keep their wines a little dirty by using hands-off, minimal winemaking except for a few strange techniques to make more gritty, textured wines. Thus the 2010 Chardonnay, using grapes grown on the Gladysdale Vineyard in the Upper Yarra Valley, was made using 85% whole bunch-pressed grapes, the juice going direct to barrel with full solids for a wild yeast fermentation in puncheons, but the remaining 15% was fermented on skins and stems. The whacky ‘orange' ferment was stirred a few times and both portions were blended in early September, the mlf prevented. Then they looked across the ditch to Hawke's Bay, NZ, and found some outstanding shiraz. Quantities are unfortunately minuscule, with 150 dozen bottles of Chardonnay and 100 dozen of Syrah. Exports to Hong Kong.

Details

Rating
Winemaker Steve Flamsteed, Dave Mackintosh
Established 2008
Dozens 250
Vineyards (area) N/A
Opening Hours Not
Address 28 Dorothy Street, Healesville, Vic 3777 (postal)
Telephone (03) 5962 5331
Website www.salowines.com.au