It was the spectacular landscape of the New South Wales Southern Highlands that drew couple Hank and Katrina in, back in 2013. The region’s charm and welcoming community led them to make it their forever home, but it was the area’s agricultural riches that inspired them to start a wine brand. Nearly seven years later and three vintages on, PepperGreen Estate is open for business.
- In 2016, Hank and Katrina purchased the Maytree Vineyard in Canyonleigh, an area known for its rugged terrain and rocky, sandy loam soils with a clay base – a perfect combination to produce cool-climate varieties. They then created the PepperGreen Estate brand, with the objective to be a premier purveyor of fine wine in the Southern Highlands, as well as to provide a cellar door and tasting room that encompass an understanding of food and wine together.
- A deep purple merlot with a red hue. The nose shows notes of ripe red plum, and the palate has a fleshy mouthfeel and fine, dry tannins to close. A medium-bodied wine which will develop more complex cedar characters if cellared for two or three years (double gold). RRP $38
- Pale garnet in colour. It has attractive strawberry aromas and some savoury notes from bottle-age. A medium-bodied wine with delicate red berry flavours and balanced, fine tannins. Finishes with lingering sour cherry flavours (gold and winner of "Best Matching with Yakitori"). RRP $45
- This shiraz is a great example of a cool-climate style, with the trademark red and black fruits and peppery spice. It has a beautiful mouthfeel and texture that finishes on the back of the palate (silver). RRP $40
- This single-vineyard rosé pays homage to the French Provencal style: it is light, fresh and savoury. Red fruits and bright acidity cleanse your palate, finishing clean and dry (silver). RRP $25
The PepperGreen cellar door and tasting room are in the town of Berrima, housed in a building that was formerly a famous antique shop. The iconic structure is situated in the town’s historic precinct and overlooks one of the region’s oldest parks. The cellar door is reminiscent of a luxury chalet, complete with a custom-built fireplace to warm up by as you take part in a guided tasting with staff. Continue through to the tasting room for French-inspired cuisine in a warm and relaxed atmosphere. The private Cellar Room can be hired out for functions and offers the most exclusive tasting experience at the winery – perfect for birthdays or special occasions.
In its inaugural year of trade, the PepperGreen Estate label has already received much acclaim for its elegant and refined cool-climate wines. At the 2020 Sakura Japan Women’s Wine Awards – which, true to its name, is held in Japan with a panel of industry-leading women – PepperGreen took out a double gold, gold and two silver medals for its wines. Check out these award winners below.
Purchase these wines as part of the Sakura Japan Women’s Wine Awards Pack, with complimentary shipping and a bonus bottle of PepperGreen Estate premium Southern Highlands Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Find out more about PepperGreen Estate.
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with PepperGreen Estate.