- Exuberant cassis, dark plum and blackberry fruits align with enveloping, refined-yet-generous cigar-box tannins. Pair it with a slow-cooked pork roast.
- A powerful wine with delicious aromas of mulberry, cherry, rose, violets, dark chocolate and ironstone. Fruit spreads across the palate with an abundance of fine tannins, followed by smooth, long flavour – a quintessential Diana Madeline in a great year.
- Fruit power is the hallmark of this cabernet-dominant blend, with sage adding a background herbal lift. Balanced flavours of Christmas cake spice and a whisper of oak combine with beautiful dark berry fruit, and the bright acid and tannins will only see the wine evolve with time.
- A vibrant, deep purple wine with layered aromas of dried herbs, tobacco leaf, redcurrant, and floral notes with underlying characters of cedar and savoury spice. The palate has tremendous length and intensity of flavour, with a lovely tannin grip that is a signature of Margaret River cabernet sauvignon.
- Complex and engaging aromas of blackcurrant, red berries, mocha, dark chocolate and hints of violet with underlying cedar notes. The palate builds from red and blue fruits to a beautifully textural mid-palate supported by spicy oak, gently fading with finely honed tannins.
- A classic Coonawarra cabernet sauvignon from a very strong, even year. It has a lifted, perfumed nose, intense cassis, chocolate and dried herb characters, plush, fine-grained cocoa powder tannins, and sweet fruit with a long, savoury finish.
Excellent varietal cabernet sauvignon is aromatic, intense and structured. These characteristics allow it to flourish and evolve with age, meaning that cellaring cabernet can often be an investment in future enjoyment. That said, many Australian styles also drink beautifully on release. Try these.
RRP $27.50 | Drink to 2023 | zontesfootstep.com
RRP $130 | Drink to 2050 | cullenwines.com.au
RRP $120 | Drink to 2048 | yarrayering.com
RRP $65 | Drink to 2035 | evansandtate.wine
RRP $74 | Drink to 2035 | flowstonewines.com
RRP $60 | Drink to 2040 | bellwetherwines.com.au
*This article was produced by Halliday Wine Companion in partnership with the featured wineries.
Top image: Wine Australia